FIBER ARTS INSTRUCTOR
Schedule: Tuesday and Thursday 8:30-4:30 Reports to Studio Manager Starting Salary: $19.25/hour
Creative Growth Art Center (CGAC) is a studio and gallery that serves artists with developmental, mental and physical disabilities, providing a professional studio environment for artistic development, gallery exhibition and representation and a social atmosphere among peers. Founded in 1974, CGAC is the oldest and largest art center of its kind in the world and maintains a well-established reputation as a vital contemporary art center by encouraging the highest level of achievement and recognition for our artists. We are dedicated to the idea that all people can gain strength, enjoyment and fulfillment from experiences in the arts and are capable of producing works of high artistic merit.
Fiber Arts Instructor will facilitate work with artists in a variety of materials with a primary focus on craft and sculptural work. There is an emphasis on experimentation, collaboration, total freedom of expression and artistic risk taking. The ability to let artists make mistakes is essential, as is the technical expertise to teach skills as needed. Currently artists employ a variety of weaving, knitting/crochet, coil rope basketry, latch-hook and soft sculpture, but bringing your own flair is welcome and encouraged.
Projects and techniques vary greatly so adaptability, multitasking and leadership skills are essential. You will share responsibilities with other textile instructors, with additional emphasis on working closely with the gallery.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Maintain a safe, organized and functional work area
- Develop engaging instructional strategies
- Monitor client attendance and behavior
- Oversee supply orders and equipment maintenance
- Work cooperatively and professionally with colleagues and clients
- Attend staff meetings and participate in special events
- Follow Creative Growth’s policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned by studio manager
- Minimum 2 year experience in textiles/fiber art
- Minimum 1 year of teaching experience
- Experience with developmentally disabled adults preferred
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 24th 2018. No phone calls please. Due to the high number of applicants we will respond to only those who meet our current needs.